What You Need to Know About SR-22 in Oregon and DUI

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on linkedin

Let’s make things clear from the start; SR-22 is not insurance, even though it’s sometimes referred to as such. It’s a document you get from your company. It proves that you have liability coverage on your car insurance policy.

An SR-22 is a form that is filed with your state. It shows that you’re meeting your state’s minimum auto liability insurance requirements.

If your license was revoked in Oregon because of a violation such as DUI, you may need to sign up for SR-22. This form will prove that your insurance policy complies with Oregon’s minimum liability car insurance requirements. Usually, the insurance company will file the SR-22 form on your behalf (it cost around $50 to complete the filing).

If you have been arrested or involved in a DUI accident, be sure to contact a Portland DUI attorney.

Who Should Get an SR-22?

Not every driver needs an SR-22. The laws are different in every state, but in general, drivers may have their insurers file the SR-22 form with the state department if:

  • You have a conviction for DUI or driving while intoxicated
  • You made a serious or repeated traffic offenses
  • You are at-fault for an accident
  • Your license was suspended or revoked

The SR-22 is required for all of these offenses so it will lead to a surcharge on your auto insurance.

How Long Do You Need to Have an SR-22 after a DUI?

The terms and requirements are different in every state these guidelines are general.

You will likely need to have an SR-22 showing continuous insurance coverage for about three years (in some states it’s longer).

The SR-22 is required for drivers no matter if they have a car or not. For how long? It depends on the conviction you have, but usually, it’s 5 years after a DUI.

If I Don’t Have A Car, Do I Still Need To File An SR-22?

People who don’t own a car may still be required to have an SR-22 certificate and auto insurance policy. If you’re a driver and drive a borrowed car or rent a car and get involved in a crash, you could still be found responsible for personal injury or property damage claims. There is a non-owner SR-22 policy. In some cases, if your license was suspended, you may even be required to get a non-owner SR-22 to reinstate your driving privileges.

When is an SR-22 Insurance Certificate Required in Oregon?

Oregon’s liability auto insurance requirements are:

Oregon also requires that SR-22 drivers carry

  • $15,000 personal injury protection (PIP)
  • $25,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per person
  • $50,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per accident

You’re required to get an SR-22 in Oregon if you’re convicted for driving without insurance or DUI. If you’re found to be an owner of an uninsured vehicle when the accident happens you should also get this class of insurance.

Failure to pay legal damages after an accident, application for a hardship or probationary permit (which may be needed after a license suspension) are also cases when drivers should get an SR-22.

If you need to reinstate your driving privileges after license revocation and if you need to comply with a judge’s order of mandatory insurance supervision, you’ll have to get an this type of insurance.

Some drivers might need a non-owner car insurance policy that will cover them in case they cause an accident with a car they don’t own. Non-owner auto insurance has a lower price than SR-22 forms (it still meets the necessary legal requirements).

Even if drivers don’t own the vehicle, they still must file for a non-owner SR-22 if they want to drive in the state of Oregon.

To get a certificate in Oregon, you’ll have to go to an insurance company that is licensed to do such business in the state.

No matter if you have the certificate or not, causing an accident while being under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a crime. Having a DUI attorney in such a case can spare you from many stressful moments.

If you have been involved in a DUI accident and wonder what to do next, our team at Trilogy Law offers you a free case review. Our lawyers are here to help you; let us represent your case until the very end.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on linkedin


DUI in Portland: Why Does False Positive Testing Happen?
DUI Charge: What Are The Different Types
Professional License and DUI Convictions
Sobriety Checkpoint: How to Conduct Yourself to Avoid Suspicion

Law Firm

compass arrows



Lisa Breuer
I've known Aaron for several years, and while I've never needed an attorney for my own legal needs, he'd the the first one I'd contact if the situation ever arose. As a member on an interview panel for an attorney position years ago, I was thoroughly impressed with not only his professional background, but his sharp mind for legal matters, as well as his strong work ethic. I think a person will be very well represented if they hire Aaron Tribble for their legal needs.
Stephen Butterfield
Great Experience! Joe went above and beyond to take care of my all my needs and concerns. He was great with communication, and keeping me posted with everything going on, on a regular basis. I would highly recommend Joe Frick Law, The Boise DUI guy!!! Thanks for everything!
Ramandeep Kaur
I highly recommend Boise DUI Guy. I was very depressed and unsure of what to do after the DUI charges. Thanks to Joe for helping me out from such an serious legal issue. I would like to say thank you to Boise DUI Lawyer and I appreciate the work that was done with my case. Great experience dealing with you.